Canova's Venus statue

Canova's Venus statue

Venere di Canova (Canova's Venus) was the first public street statue in Adelaide, and is actually a copy of a the Italian Venus by Florentine sculptor Antonia Canova.

The life-sized Venere di Canova is made completely of white Carrara marble, standing on a base of Sicilian marble and elevated on a pedestal of Kapunda stone and was carved by the Pugi brothers, copyists of Florence for William Horn.

It was donated to the city by wealthy pastoralist, mining magnate and parliamentarian William Austin Horn and was unveiled on 3 September 1892 by Mayor F W Bullock, who at the time 'called upon every citizen to regard himself as a special constable, bound in honour and duty to protect this chaste and graceful piece of statuary from the dangers of larrikinism and vandalism’.

There are rumoured to be at least six ghosts that call Adelaide Arcade home, and over the years there have been numerous reports of sightings, footsteps, objects moving and other unexplainable occurrences.

View page

MOD. at the University of South Australia is a futuristic museum of discovery; a place to be and be inspired.

View page

Just east of Rundle Mall you'll find the 'East End', a bustling pocket of the Adelaide CBD packed with cafes, restaurants, bars and premium shopping.

View page

Leigh Street sits between Hindley and Currie Street, just west of Rundle Mall. Packed full of character and heritage, by day it's a thoroughfare with cafes and coffee spots and by night it's a popular haunt for its bar scene.

View page