The statue of His Majesty King Edward VII is located on the corner of North Terrace and Kintore Avenue, just across the road from Rundle Mall.
King Edward VII was the eldest son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, and was well known for his role as a peacemaker in foreign affairs and for his philandering.
King Edward VII suddenly died in 1910 and upon hearing the news of his death, the Mayor of Adelaide, Lewis Cohen, proposed the erection of a memorial to the deceased king.
The state government and Cohen both donated £500 and the City of Adelaide donated £250. A local newspaper set up a 'penny fund through which every child in the state may subscribe' with names of all children who made a donation published in the register. Adults could contribute by 'schilling funds' and by the end of May, £4,500 had been raised.
A well-known Australian sculptor by the name of Bertam Mackennal was commissioned to model the work, though the children of Adelaide wouldn't see the fruits of their labour until the unveiling ceremony almost 10 years later.
The memorial itself is a slightly larger-than-life bronze statue which sits atop a 4.6 metre marble pedestal. Three female figures which represent peace, justice and South Australia sit just below.