The Beehive Corner building is where it all began for Haigh’s Chocolates. On the 1st of May 1915, founder Alfred E Haigh opened the first Haigh’s Chocolates store at 34 King William Street. In 1923 Haigh moved the store to its prime corner location where it stands today at 2 Rundle Mall.
From 1984 to 1987 the Beehive Corner store took on a new lease of life as a
venue for art exhibitions, visitors would enter through a separate door on King
William Street and proceed to the first floor space to appreciate the art on display.
In 1992 the Beehive Corner store was given a makeover featuring jarrah and
Australian oak for cabinets and flooring. All street front windows were removed and replaced with a style consistent with the building’s 1895 origins. Along with the windows the original ceiling was completely restored.
In November 2007, Haigh’s re-expanded and refurbished the historic Beehive
store. The re-expansion came nearly half a century after a major part of the original Beehive store was closed, this was caused by economic hardship during the second World War. The interior of the building was also upgraded on all four levels, in keeping with the building's heritage status.
1992 - Haigh’s opened its Adelaide Arcade store at Shop 1, 116 Grenfell Street.
1994 - Haigh’s features Easter Bilbies in a special pop up store at the Rundle Mall end of Adelaide Arcade.
8th August 2008 - Haigh’s unveils its expanded and refurbished Adelaide Arcade store. Officially opened by Premier Mike Rann. The store underwent a significant facelift to restore it to it’s former heritage glory. Haigh’s worked closely with Adelaide Arcade Centre Management to protect the heritage of the Arcade and chose materials which reflected the quality of those used in similar stores from the late 1800’s.