The exterior view of the Art Gallery of South Australia

Art Gallery of South Australia

Just across the road from Rundle Mall sits the Art Gallery of South Australia, one of several major cultural institutions that line North Terrace.

Almost one million visitors make their way through the Art Gallery of South Australia's doors each year, treated to multiple wings housing an impressive selection of more than 40,000 paintings, sculptures, prints, sketches, photographs, textiles and design works from every corner of the globe, with a focus on Australian and Aboriginal art.

Over the years, the gallery has exhibited the works of world-famous artists including Andy Warhol, Robert Hannaford, Diane Arbus and Del Kathryn Barton, to name only a few.

Prior to the purpose-built gallery (now the Elder wing) opening in 1900, South Australia's art collection was housed together with the library and museum collection in the South Australian Institute. Subsequent wings were added in 1936, 1962 and 1996 to house the ever-growing collections.

The 'Girl on a Slide' sculpture was created by artist John Dowie and first called Rundle Mall home in 1977.

View page

Aboriginal reggae rock band No Fixed Address, who forged their own path in the turbulent Australian music landscape of the 1970s, is honoured in this eponymous laneway and art mural.

View page

The first street statue erected in the city on North Terrace is actually a copy of a famous neoclassical work. Based on Italian sculptor Antonio Canova’s ‘Venus’, it was chiselled from Carrara marble by Fraser & Draysey, and presented by Mr W A Horn to Mayor F W Bullock on 3 September 1892.

View page

The new look Gawler Place was officially unveiled in late 2019 and with it came the installation of two new innovative, bold and colourful art experiences — ‘Flow’ and ‘Ripple’.

View page