The South African War Memorial is a life-sized, 3.4 metre tall bronze statue of a mounted infantryman located on the corner of King William Street and North Terrace and is a memorial to all those who fought and fell in the Boer War (11 October 1899 – 31 May 1902).
The Boer War was the first war in which South Australians fought overseas, and at least 59 men were killed in action, 16 men died in connection with the war and 4 died in training or on their return.
In 1901, Joseph Johnson proposed an equestrian statue to be erected to mark the Australian involvement in the war and a committee which included Sir George Brookman MLC (chair), Premier Jenkins, Adelaide's Mayor and the Bishop of Adelaide began the commissioning and fundraising processes.
With the help of local South Australian citizens and school children, donations soon amounted to £2,500.
Captain Adrian Jones was recommended as the sculptor, with South Australian Boer War veteran George Henry Goodall serving as consultant on the dress and attitudes of the piece.
The statue was unveiled on 6 June 1904 and was the first war memorial erected in Adelaide.