Anyone can busk in Rundle Mall, you just need to apply for a free permit first. You can apply online or in-person at the City of Adelaide Customer Centre during business hours.
For the safety and wellbeing of everyone, the following criteria apply:
- Groups are limited to a maximum of six people.
- Performers under 16 will only be permitted to busk outside school hours and during daylight hours and must have written permission from a parent or guardian.
- The busking permit is valid for three months, and can easily be renewed online.
- If under 12 years of age, the performer must be constantly supervised by a parent/guardian and only perform during daylight hours.
- Performances must be within designated areas highlighted in the Rundle Mall Busking Zone map.
- A maximum performance area size of 4 metres squared.
- Maintaining pedestrian flow and access in Rundle Mall during a performance, therefore buskers must perform within 2 metres of the centre of the Mall.
Amplified busking is permitted in the Mall in the designated zone, located at James Place. Please see the Rundle Mall Busking Zone map for more details.
Applying for a busking permit
Applying for a busking permit is quick, easy and free. You can apply online or in-person at the City of Adelaide Customer Centre.
Before you apply, you’ll need to have the following handy:
- personal details such as name, address, phone and/or email
- 1 x photo identification (eg. drivers’ licence, passport, student ID card), or
- 2 x non-photo identification (eg. Health Care Card or phone/utility bill).
If the performer is under 12, parents will need to apply with the permit issued in the parents' name, so please provide your own ID.
Where can I busk?
Busking must only take place in specific zones along Rundle Mall, as shown in the Rundle Mall Busking Zone map.
- Busking must not impede pedestrian access.
- Buskers must maintain a minimum distance of 50 metres from any other busker, preacher, event or promotion.
- You must keep your busking permit on you at all times so you're ready to show it to an Authorised Council Officer or Police Officer.
The City of Adelaide and the Rundle Mall team are excited to support busking in Rundle Mall and the adjacent laneways as a vibrant addition to the Precinct and the experience of our visitors. We have been working with SA Police and SA Health to ensure busking is enabled in a safe way for performers, pedestrians and retailers in the Rundle Mall Precinct.
Please find a list of FAQ below: