Anyone can busk in Rundle Mall, you just need to apply for a free permit first. You can apply online, or in person at the City of Adelaide Customer Centre during business hours.
For the safety and wellbeing of everyone, the following criteria apply:
- groups are limited to a maximum of six people.
- performers under 16 will only be permitted to busk outside school hours and during daylight hours and must have written permission from a parent or guardian.
- the busking permit is for valid for one month, and can easily be renewed online.
- if under 12 years of age, the performer must be constantly supervised by a parent/guardian and only perform in daylight hours.
From Monday 3 August 2020, busking returned to Rundle Mall with additional specific conditions:
- Performances must be within designated areas highlighted in the Rundle Mall Busking Zone map.
- A maximum performance area size of 4 metres squared.
- All buskers require a COVID-Safe plan as per SA Health guidelines.
- Maintaining pedestrian flow and access in Rundle Mall during a performance, therefor Buskers must perform within 2 metres of the centre of the Mall.
From Monday 19 October, amplified busking has returned to the Mall in two designated zones, located at James Place & Rundle Place. Please see the Rundle Mall Busking Zone map.
The City of Adelaide and Rundle Mall are continuing to work together and review busking conditions as COVID-19 restrictions lift further, with the goal of balancing the needs of our busking community, retailers, businesses, and broader community.
During this transition time it’s important that our busking guidelines are adhered to, with particular attention given to moderating volume and encouraging of social distancing of any audiences. To assist with this transition, we have a permanent Authorised Officer situated in Rundle Mall Precinct.
You can read the full street permit policy guidelines and should understand them before you apply:
Applying for a busking permit
Applying for a busking permit is quick, easy and best of all free. You can apply online or in person at the City of Adelaide Customer Centre.
Before you apply, you’ll need to have the following handy:
- personal details such as name, address, phone and/or email
- 1 x photo identification (eg. drivers’ licence, passport, student ID card), or
- 2 x non-photo identification (eg. Health Care Card or phone/utility bill).
If the performer is under 12, parents will need to apply, and the permit issued using your details, therefore please provide your own ID.
Where can I busk?
Due to Covid-19 restrictions busking must only take place in specific zones along Rundle Mall, shown in the Rundle Mall Busking Zone map.
- busking must not impede pedestrian access.
- buskers must maintain a minimum distance of 50 metres from any other busker, preacher, event or promotion.
- you must keep your busking permit on you at all times so you're ready to show it to an Authorised Council Officer or Police Officer.
The City of Adelaide and Rundle Mall Management are excited to announce the return of busking to Rundle Mall and the adjacent laneways. During the phases of restrictions, we have been working with SA Police and SA Health to ensure busking is brought back in a safe way for buskers, pedestrians and retailers in the Rundle Mall Precinct.
Please find a list of FAQ below: