Beehive Corner - corner of Rundle Mall and King William Street
An historic image of Beehive Corner (source: State Library of South Australia)
The intersection of Hindley Street, King William Street and Rundle Mall is rich with history. The original “Beehive” corner was owned by John Rundle in 1849. The present day Beehive Corner with its gold bee was built 1895-97 in a Gothic Revival style generally reserved for churches and their associated buildings.
Adelaide’s first electric street lighting was installed in October 1895 at the intersection of Hindley Street, King William Street and Rundle Street.
During the Federation Royal Visit in 1901, seats on a grandstand erected on the corner sold for ten shillings each. This was because the royal couple —later to be crowned King George V and Queen Mary— would pass by them not once, but three times!